- You can turn off AirDrop on your Mac easily, simply by going to the AirDrop menu in your Finder.
- While AirDrop can be convenient, turning it off can stop people you don’t know from trying to share intrusive files with your Mac.
- If you’re in a public space and you’re not expecting any files, it’s probably a good idea to turn off AirDrop.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Unfortunately, it can also offer an opportunity for unknown devices to send over questionable files. It’s generally advised that you turn off AirDrop on your Mac when you’re not using it, to prevent security risks.
But first you need to know how to turn it off.
Check out the products mentioned in this article:
Robots How to turn off AirDrop on your Mac
1. Open Finder.
2. Click on AirDrop in the left sidebar. If it’s not in your sidebar, you can search for it with Spotlight (the magnifying glass icon in the top-right corner) and select it when it appears in the search results.
3. Click on the line that says “Allow me to be discovered by” to open a drop-down menu.
4. In the drop-down, change it to “No One” so that your Mac can’t be discovered. While this doesn’t technically “turn off” AirDrop, it does ensure that nobody can send you files using AirDrop.
Note, though, that you can still send files using AirDrop. You can also change your Mac’s AirDrop settings so you can only be discovered by your contacts. This is the second option in the “discovered by” drop-down menu.