- You can convert a PNG file to a JPG (or JPEG) on your Mac computer in just a few steps.
- It’s easy to convert PNG to JPG on a Mac by opening the original image file in the Preview app, and clicking Save or Export to reformat the file.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The most universal graphic file type is the JPEG, also at times represented as JPG.
Many images and graphics, however, come in a PNG format — most notably screenshots. Luckily, with the Preview program that comes with your Mac computer, you can convert a PNG to a JPEG.
Here’s how to do it.
Robots How to convert a PNG to a JPG on your Mac computer
1. Open your PNG file with Preview. It should be the default image viewer on your Mac — but you can also right click on the file, scroll down to “Open With,” and then select Preview.
2. Once the image is open, click on File from the top toolbar.
3. Scroll down and click on “Duplicate.”
4. With the new duplicate image open, click on File from the top toolbar.
5. You can now click “Export…” to open a pop-up where you can change the file type.
6. Click on the Format drop-down — it should still be PNG — and you will get a list of all the formats you can change the file to. The top one should be JPEG.
7. Select JPEG and click “Save.”
8. Unless you change the name, it may be hard to tell the JPEG from the PNG file. In that case, right click on the file on your desktop.
9. In the right-click menu, click on “Info.” That will give you a rundown on your image file, including whether it is the JPEG or PNG.