Electrical cars EV Citizens advice takes redundancy call every two minutes

Electrical cars EV

electrical cars  EV A worried woman on the phone

Image copyright
Getty Images

Citizens Advice says it is now receiving calls seeking redundancy advice once every two minutes.

Its benefits advice web pages are also receiving record-breaking traffic – 4.4 million views since 23 March.

The charity says the surge in calls is indicative of an “escalating employment crisis” in the UK.

Citizens Advice is calling on the government to ensure people have “enough to make ends meet” if they lose their jobs.

Dame Gillian Guy, chief executive of Citizens Advice, said that weathering the employment crisis is now the “top concern” for millions of people.

“Investment in jobs and training will be critical for economic recovery, but any measures have to be underpinned by a strong safety net,” she said.

“At this incredibly worrying time, the government must ensure that the benefits system provides people with enough to make ends meet if they lose their job.”

Chancellor Rishi Sunak will be delivering his Summer Statement on Wednesday, which many hope will include further support to help restart the economy.

Many British companies have slashed their workforces as a result of the coronavirus pandemic and the lockdown measures imposed by the government. And many small businesses fear they will not be able to survive if they are unable to reopen their premises soon.

Image copyright
SOPA Images

Image caption

John Lewis is closing some stores, but has yet to confirm how many jobs will go

On Tuesday, Daily Mirror and Daily Express owner Reach announced that it will be cutting 12% of its workforce – 550 jobs – due to a 30% fall in revenues in the quarter to June.

About 2,200 jobs supplying Jaguar Land Rover manufacturing plants in the Midlands and North West are also at risk, trade union Unite reported on Tuesday.

Last week, multiple High Street retailers including the likes of John Lewis, Topshop owner Arcadia, Harrods and TM Lewin slashed more than 12,000 jobs in 48 hours.

WH Smith, Bensons for Beds, Wrights Pies, tableware-maker Steelite International, the Adelphi Hotel in Liverpool and Norwich Theatre Royal have also announced plans to reduce staff.

Over in the aviation sector, up to 12,000 jobs will go at British Airways, Airbus is cutting 1,700 jobs in the UK, while EasyJet will be making 1,300 crew and 727 pilots redundant.

The UK’s hospitality and tourism industry is now calling on the government to provide urgent support in order to avoid “widespread devastation” across its industry.

Although pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants were permitted to reopen on 4 July, Pret A Manger has cut 1,000 jobs, Café Rouge-owner Casual Dining Group is slashing 1,900 jobs, and up to 5,000 jobs will go at Upper Crust owner SSP Group.

Story continue

Future cars U.S. probes fuel leaks in GM’s older Chevy Cobalt and HHR vehicles

Future cars

Future cars

FILE PHOTO: The GM logo is seen at the General Motors Assembly Plant in Ramos Arizpe, state of Coahuila, Mexico October 7, 2019. REUTERS/Daniel Becerril/File Photo

(Reuters) – U.S. auto safety regulator on Tuesday disclosed it has opened an investigation into complaints of fuel leaks in older Chevrolet Cobalt compact cars and HHR wagons, manufactured by General Motors Co (GM.N).

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said the investigation, which was opened on Sunday, covers more than 614,000 vehicles from 2008 to 2010 model years.

“The fuel leaks are the result of corrosion of the metal fuel lines underneath the vehicle towards the rear and in the vicinity of the left rear wheel well,” the regulator said after it received 208 complaints of fuel leaks from vehicle owners.

The NHTSA said there were no reports of fires or injuries from such leaks, and it was probing the scope and severity of the potential problem to assess any possible safety issues with the vehicles.

GM said it will continue to cooperate with the NHTSA in the investigation.

Reporting by Ankit Ajmera in Bengaluru; Editing by Shinjini Ganguli

Story continue

Read More

Electrical cars EV Robert Jenrick: MPs say minister made ‘serious mistakes’ in planning case

Electrical cars EV

electrical cars  EV Robert Jenrick

Image copyright
Getty Images

Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick made “serious mistakes” over the controversial Westferry planning application, MPs have said.

The Commons housing committee has asked Mr Jenrick for more details about his contacts with developer and Tory donor Richard Desmond.

Boris Johnson said the matter was closed after correspondence, including texts between the two men was released.

But MPs said they “respectfully disagreed” with the PM’s assessment.

The committee, which is led by Labour MP Clive Betts, has asked Mr Jenrick to appear before them on 13 July to answer questions about his involvement with the case and transparency in the planning process.

Mr Jenrick over-ruled a planning inspector when he approved the development of more than 1,500 flats on the site of the former Westferry print works in east London in January.

But following a challenge by Tower Hamlets council, the decision was subsequently ruled unlawful by the High Court, on the grounds of “apparent bias” in the decision-making process.

Mr Jenrick has rejected suggestions he was swayed by lobbying by Mr Desmond, including when he sat next to the businessman at a fundraising dinner and was briefly shown a video of the development.

In a letter to Mr Jenrick, Mr Betts said his committee was not accusing him of “deliberate wrongdoing”.

Electrical cars EV ‘Neutral arbiter’

But he said the integrity of planning system and ministers’ role in making decisions meant unresolved questions about “perceived conflicts of interest” in the case must be addressed.

“The documents do clearly demonstrate that serious mistakes were made during the process and that these put in doubt your ability to act as a neutral arbiter in this case and created a strong perception of bias,” he wrote.

He has given Mr Jenrick until Monday to respond to 26 questions.

“The committee respectfully disagrees with the prime minister’s assertion that the matter is closed and believe that there are important lessons to be learned,” he added.

While continuing to look into the case and its wider implications, the committee is not currently considering calling any other witnesses to give evidence.

Mr Jenrick has insisted he approached the decision with an open mind and followed the rules, although he has admitted he could have done certain things better.

Read More

Electrical cars EV Obituary: Sir Everton Weekes – a West Indies legend

Electrical cars EV

electrical cars  EV Frank Worrell, Everton Weekes and Clyde Walcott

Frank Worrell, Everton Weekes and Clyde Walcott – the ‘Three W’s’ – were part of a legendary West Indies team

Sir Everton Weekes was the last survivor of the famous ‘Three Ws’ – a trio of West Indies batting legends whose lives and careers became irrevocably entwined.

Frank Worrell, Everton Weekes and Clyde Walcott were all born within 18 months, and within three miles of each other in Barbados – and were even delivered by the same midwife.

All three made their debuts in early 1948 against England, were the middle-order mainstays of the great West Indies side of the 1950s – and were all subsequently knighted for services to cricket.

A record run of centuries

Everton DeCourcy Weekes was born on 26 February 1925, named after the famous Merseyside football team of which his father was an avid supporter.

According to legend, England spinner Jim Laker once remarked to Weekes: “It’s a good job that he wasn’t a fan of West Bromwich Albion.”

Born in poverty, Weekes left school at 14 and served in the Barbados Defence Force. He appeared in 10 first-class games for Barbados before being called up to face England at Kensington Oval in his home town, Bridgetown, a month before his 23rd birthday.

A first Test century came in the final game of that series in Jamaica, the start of an unparalleled purple patch of form for Weekes, a stocky, powerful right-hander.

Touring India later that year, he struck centuries in Delhi, Bombay and two in Calcutta, to complete a run of five successive Test hundreds, a feat not matched before or since.

He was even controversially run out for 90 in the fourth Test in Madras while chasing a sixth ton. He did pass 1,000 Test runs though, in only his 12th innings, another record – jointly held with Herbert Sutcliffe – that still stands.

That form earned Weekes an offer to play in the Lancashire League, where he was a much-loved professional for Bacup for seven seasons, averaging more than 90.

The Three Ws and the heroes of 1950

Weekes’ run of seven consecutive Test scores of 50 or more has only been matched by Andy Flower, Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Kumar Sangakkara

West Indies had never won a Test on English soil on three previous tours before they arrived in 1950, two years after the Windrush had brought the first large wave of Caribbean migrants to the UK.

But after losing the first Test at Manchester, where Worrell, Weekes and Walcott batted at three, four and five respectively for the first time, West Indies bounced back superbly to take the series 3-1 with three spectacular victories.

The Three Ws, as they were dubbed on that tour, became household names, while Weekes also helped himself to four double centuries against county sides and a triple ton against Cambridge University.

Weekes and Worrell were named among Wisden’s five cricketers of the year in 1951, as were spinners Sonny Ramadhin and Alf Valentine who took 59 wickets between them.

Despite injury problems for Weekes in the years that followed, he hit double centuries against India and England, both in Trinidad, and three back-to-back hundreds in New Zealand in 1956.

A thigh injury prompted his international retirement in 1958, aged only 33, just as the great all-rounder Garry Sobers was making his mark – and two years before Worrell became West Indies’ first black captain.

Coach, commentator, bridge player, knight

Weekes presents Australia’s Adam Gilchrist with the man-of-the-match award at the 2007 World Cup final in Barbados

Although retired from Tests, Weekes played for Barbados until 1964. He coached Canada at the 1979 World Cup and served on the Barbados Cricket Association board.

A popular voice in the commentary box and briefly an International Cricket Council (ICC) match referee, Weekes also represented Barbados at contract bridge and remained close to Worrell and Walcott, becoming the last of the trio to be knighted in 1995.

A first-class cricket ground on the edge of Barbados is named the Three Ws Oval, and Worrell and Walcott are both buried overlooking it, while a stand at Kensington Oval also bears their names.

Worrell died aged 42 in 1967 after suffering with leukaemia, while Walcott, who later managed the West Indies team and served as ICC chairman, died in 2006.

That left Weekes as the genial elder statesman of West Indies cricket, regularly attending games until well into his 90s.

In 2019 he said: “I’m 93, and my doctor has only just told me to stop swimming in the sea every day.” He suffered a heart attack later that year.

At the time of his death he was the third oldest surviving male Test cricketer.

Weekes’ son David Murray kept wicket for West Indies in 19 Tests and 10 one-day internationals between 1973 and 1982, before receiving a life ban for joining a rebel tour of apartheid South Africa.

Read More

Electrical cars EV Bournemouth 1-4 Newcastle: Eddie Howe on Cherries’ most difficult challenge

Electrical cars EV

Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe describes securing Premier League survival this season as “the most difficult challenge” the club has faced after a 4-1 home defeat by Newcastle at the Vitality stadium.

MATCH REPORT: Bournemouth 1-4 Newcastle

Read More

Electrical cars EV Edward Colston statue: Man, 24, in criminal damage arrest

Electrical cars EV

electrical cars  EV Colston statue lowered into Bristol harbour

Image copyright
PA Media

Image caption

The statue of Edward Colston was pushed into the harbour after being toppled by protesters

A man has been arrested in connection with the toppling of a statue of slave trader Edward Colston in Bristol.

A bronze memorial to the 17th Century slave merchant was torn down during a Black Lives Matter protest on June 7 and dumped into Bristol harbour.

Avon and Somerset Police said it would review footage of a “small group of people” filmed pulling down the statue with ropes.

A 24-year-old has been held on suspicion of criminal damage.

The investigation remains ongoing.

Read More

Electrical cars EV Arsenal 4-0 Norwich: Mikel Arteta ‘positive’ about Patrick Aubameyang future

Electrical cars EV

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta tells BBC Sport he is feeling “positive” about the chances of Patrick Aubameyang signing a new contract with the Gunners. The Gabon international, who scored twice against Norwich to become the quickest player in Gunners’ history to reach 50 Premier League goals, is entering the final year of his current deal with the club.

MATCH REPORT: Arsenal 4-0 Norwich

Read More